Thursday, May 1, 2014

Build Your Boat

"It was by faith that Noah built a large boat to save his family from the flood. He obeyed God, who warned him about things that had never happened before. By his faith Noah condemned the rest of the world, and he received the righteousness that comes by faith." Hebrews 11:7



I hate the rain! My jeans are always drenched, my hair is a frizzy mess, my little body could easily be carried away by a puddle, and my tiny car is temperamental when it hits the wet pavement. Not to mention that my umbrella never matches and they never make "adult" looking rain jackets in my size. I am probably the only 26 year old in America that frantically searches through Dora the Explorer and Sophia the Princess jackets. TJ Maxx just give me a plain jane jacket... help a girl out! With all that being said, I clearly prefer the sun to clouds any day. This week it has rained, rained, and rained some more. Did I mention I hate the rain. Well I do! This morning however as the sun broke through and the clouds fled I thought about the rain and I thought about Noah. 

Genesis 6 says "Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God. Noah had three sons: Shem, Ham and Japheth. Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence. God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways. So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth.  So make yourself an ark of cypress wood... I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish. But I will establish my covenant with you, and you will enter the ark—you and your sons and your wife and your sons’ wives with you. You are to bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and female, to keep them alive with you. Two of every kind of bird, of every kind of animal and of every kind of creature that moves along the ground will come to you to be kept alive. You are to take every kind of food that is to be eaten and store it away as food for you and for them.” Noah did everything just as God commanded him." 

Can you imagine a life without rain, clouds, mud puddles, and frizzy hair? Well, Noah couldn't imagine a life with all of those things. There had never been a cloudy rainy day. Water falling from the sky... no such thing! The Lord came to Noah and said "BUILD an ark because I will destroy the earth with floodwaters." Hold please... if I was Noah I think I would have said "Can't you just drop an Ark from the sky when you bring forth the waters? Why do I have to build it when you could just create it? I don't want to seem crazy or look stupid building a boat if you never bring the water?" Instead, it says in verse 22 " Noah DID EVERYTHING just as GOD COMMANDED!" He obeyed in faith without ever seeing a drop of rain! Imagine yourself as Noah, waking up every morning; building tools in hand passing by the scoffers and those that called you crazy. The only drops of water felt was the sweat dripping from your forehead, looking up to see the sun mocking you, and yet faithfully continuing to build day after day. He heard the word of the Lord and He obeyed.

No, you and I have never had to build a boat when there was no such thing as rain, but let me ask this... Have you heard the Lord speak to your heart about things in your life that have never happened before? Has the Lord planted a dream in your heart that seems wildly crazy and far fetched? Has the Lord claimed victory in your life when the battle is still raging? Has the Lord asked you to step out in faith when the foundation seems shaky? Has the Lord asked you to take your tools in obedience and build something in your life you have never built before? Ever had scoffers? Ever experienced sweat, blood, and tears in the place of fulfillment? Well sweet friends I think maybe God is just calling us to BUILD... BUILD OUR ARK! Noah built it because God asked him too! God said it and Noah did it... let me say this again... WHEN THERE WAS NO SUCH THING AS RAIN! God could have dropped an Ark from the sky but He wanted to stretch, strip, and strengthen Noah. He wanted his faith to grow. Because, the character and faith of a person is always more important than the fulfillment of the promise. The promise will destroy you without the character there to sustain you (thank you Christine Caine for that truth). Just because you don’t see it or see others have it does not mean your dream is dead or what you heard from the Lord is wrong. HE IS FAITHFUL and He doesn’t call not too fulfill, He doesn’t bring you forth to desert you, He doesn’t equip and prepare and then not provide. BUILD YOUR BOAT friends because the RAINS ARE COMING!!!!

He's BIG (calling me to BUILD), and I'm little (building in faith),
~Bets
betsbol@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the insights on Noah Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Betsy, how precious! And how true. Thanks for the encouragement. Heard you speak (for the 2nd time) on Tuesday night @ 3Forks Assoc mtg. What a blessing. Thanks for YOUR obedience. Your life is an encouragement to all who know you.

    ReplyDelete