Thursday, December 12, 2013

The fight of femininity


I am a woman! I know I am stating the obvious….but hear me out. I love being a woman.  I love that I can be gentle and strong, beautiful and rugged, produce life and foster it. Being a woman is a beautiful thing. I will say it again...I love being a woman but I hate what we have become. My fear is that we are losing the very beauty of womanhood. We want to be heard, seen, and known. We want to have a say in the world and an impact on our generation. I want that as well, but not the way we have gone about getting it and in no way what we have become because of it. I was reading an article this morning called the 28 Most Iconic Feminist Moments of 2013 and there were a few moments that I thought "good for us! Way to go!" We need to stop the abuse and sexual degradation of women. I agree 100% with that, but the majority of the article just made me sick to my stomach. We congratulate a woman for standing for hours to defend the murder of innocent life; the life that God has so graciously given us the opportunity to bring into the world. All for the sake of "women's rights". We blame men for the problems of the world and put our sex on a pedestal all for the sake of "being equal". Really equal? It's not equal if you have to bash men to do it! We instagram a picture of a woman dressed like a private part. Is this real? We call this Feminism? This is what we want little girls of the world to look up to? Forget tea parties and dressing up like Princesses for Halloween! How our Creator's heart must be broken at the way we have skewed the beauty and character of women!

In our quest to have our sex valued we ourselves have devalued womanhood. Yes, I want to vote! Yes, I work and make a living to support myself! Yes, I want to be seen as an integral part of society! However, I don't have to lose all the beauty of my femininity to do it. When did we start viewing one of these pictures as "wrong"? 





















Why can't they both be right? Proverbs 31 paints that very picture. "She finds wool and flax and busily spins it. She is like a merchant’s ship, bringing her food from afar. She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household and plan the day’s work for her servant girls. She goes to inspect a field and buys it; with her earnings she plants a vineyard. She is energetic and strong, a hard worker. She makes sure her dealings are profitable; her lamp burns late into the night. Her hands are busy spinning thread, her fingers twisting fiber. She extends a helping hand to the poor and opens her arms to the needy. She has no fear of winter for her household, for everyone has warm clothes. She makes her own bedspreads. She dresses in fine linen and purple gowns. Her husband is well known at the city gates, where he sits with the other civic leaders. She makes belted linen garments and sashes to sell to the merchants. She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness. She carefully watches everything in her household and suffers nothing from laziness. Her children stand and bless her. Her husband praises her: “There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!” Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised. Reward her for all she has done. Let her deeds publicly declare her praise." Sounds like both to me!! 

When did submission, motherhood, modesty, housework, purity, and allowing men to be men become "un-feminine"? When did dressing up like a private part, caring more about your sex life than life in general, and bashing men become feminine? Hear me out! I am not saying we need to be weak women who never speak our minds or not take Wall Street by force. Gracious read Proverbs 31 again! She was busy buying fields...boom! What I am saying is that Feminism can't truly be feminism if it strips away part of what is beautiful and wonderful about being a woman. Call me old- fashioned if you want, but I miss the movies where men were warriors and women were totally ok with that. I don't remember ever thinking Cinderella, Snow White, or Belle were weak useless women? They were strong women who rose above their circumstances, worked, embraced their femininity, and had nice looking warriors willing to risk life and limb for them.  Sorry (but I'm not sorry) that doesn't upset me. I miss the days when men held open doors, protected a women's purity, and pursued the heart of a woman. Maybe those days never existed but never the less I pray for them. I want my little niece and some day prayerfully my own little girls to embrace their womanhood. To feel honored that as a woman they can kiss away a boo-boo, find the cure for cancer, be a missionary, build a business from the ground up, hold their sweet baby after hours of labor, beautifully submit to a husband that cherishes them, and pass on the truth that true femininity is a woman that "fears the Lord". May they know the Creator who knitted them together to become women of virtue, value, and valor. May they never feel they have to buy, sell, conquer, or become something they aren't to be a "woman"! 

Nancy Demoss said it best in her book Lies Women Believe and the Truth That Sets Them Free "Do you know who you are? God made you a woman. Accept His gift. Don't be afraid to be feminine and to add physical and spiritual loveliness to the setting where He has placed you. You are a child of God. You are a part of the bride of Christ. You belong to the King--you are royalty. Dress and conduct yourself in a way that reflects your high and holy calling. God has called you out of this world's system--don't let the world press you into its mold. Don't think, dress, or act like the world; inwardly and outwardly, let others see the difference He makes in your life." 

That, my sweet girlfriends, is FEMININE!!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment