Friday, November 15, 2013

Bearing His Armor...


 "Jonathan said to his young armor-bearer, “Come, let’s go over to the outpost of those uncircumcised men. Perhaps the Lord will act in our behalf. Nothing can hinder the Lord from saving, whether by many or by few.”“Do all that you have in mind,” his armor-bearer said. “Go ahead; I am with you heart and soul.”  Samuel 14:6-7

"Jonathan climbed up, using his hands and feet, with his armor-bearer right behind him. The Philistines fell before Jonathan, and his armor-bearer followed and killed behind him." 1 Samuel 14:13

 Jonathan and his armor-bearer traveled at least 3 miles with a cliff on each side of their trail (makes me want to cry. I hate heights. No short jokes please haha!) to face an army that far outnumbered them with no real certainty that they would defeat the enemy. CRAZY!! I am blown away by the faith of Jonathan. He knew that God was still God and God was still good even if He chose not to act on the Israelites behalf. He was completely confident that God's power was not contingent on their strength or their numbers! He knew God was bigger than any enemy, any battle, and any uncertainty. He knew that victory would only come by the hand of God but he had to obediently enter the battle. When I read this passage of Scripture I wonder what my response would be if I was Jonathan's armor-bearer? Like seriously dude, you dragged me along to enter a camp full of huge beasts...umm in the words of Ice Age "no thanks! I choose life!" I think I would tell him to carry his own armor. Terrible I know! Yet, his armor-bearer, in an act of complete faith responds "Go ahead; I am with you heart and soul!" Seriously... I would need a little more confidence before making that statement if I was him. "Oh, you're not 100% certain we won't be mutilated? I don't think I am with you heart and soul. I prefer to keep my heart safe but thanks for the offer.

Sometimes I catch myself stopping at the crest of my spiritual battle shaking in my armor. I want to renege on Christ's offer to follow Him into battle. I only want to go where it's "safe". If God can't promise me a white picket fence with Tim Tebow, children, and a job that pays the bills on the other side, I just can't go. Beth Moore said "We are God's present armor-bearers." He has called you and I to fight behind Him in the battle, but when the battle comes I want to run in the other direction. When I see the enemy taunting me I want to go back to safety. "Perhaps" isn't good enough for me. I need to know that it's going to all be alright or I don't want to go! Are you that way too?

Can we really call ourselves armor-bearers if we don't actually make it to the battlefield? David Platt said in his book Radical “Radical obedience to Christ is not easy... It's not comfort, not health, not wealth, and not prosperity in this world. Radical obedience to Christ risks losing all these things. But in the end, such risk finds its reward in Christ. And he is more than enough for us.” My prayer is to be the armor-bearer with radical faith following behind Him and proclaiming with complete confidence "Do ALL that you have in mind. Go ahead; I am with you heart and soul!" Because I know that I have Jesus and He is more than enough!

He's Big (leading me to Battle) and I'm Little (bearing HIS armor),
~Bets
betsbol@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment