Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Dance a jig in the desert..

Source


The feeling never gets old as I pace my house trying to be completely calm and not too overly excited. I hang up the phone and most often do a silent scream (or not silent) and possibly a little jig in whatever room I have chosen to pace (it's a family trait passed on for generations). When someone calls to have me come speak I am overwhelmed by my Savior; that He would allow me to proclaim His goodness in the midst of tough situations. So blog world that is partially why I have been M.I.A. Long time no blog.....I know y'all have missed me as much as I have missed you. Well at least a gal can hope. He has opened so many doors for me to share the story He has written in my life. I am so excited!!! (That excitement deserves more than one exclamation point and y'all know how much I love those!) In the last couple of weeks I have been in awe of God's timing. I have prayed for years for the opportunity to speak more than once in a blue moon and now the doors are swinging open (insert silent scream). Yet, recently I have asked myself this question, "Was God any less good when things were not falling into place?" "Was He any less awesome when I was in the desert?"

It is easy to know for certain that we serve a good God when life is peachy but what about when life stinks? What do we do when we are caught in the desert? Well if you are anything like me...you cry a lot. You raise your hands to the Lord and question whether He is truly good and if His promise of "all things work together for the good of those who love Him" is actually true. I am reminded at these moments of the forty years the people wandered in the desert. Deuteronomy 8: 2-10 says " Remember the whole way by which he has brought you these forty years through the desert so that he might, by humbling you, test you to see if you have it within you to keep his commandments or not. So he humbled you by making you hungry and then feeding you with unfamiliar manna. He did this to teach you that humankind cannot live by bread alone, but also by everything that comes from the Lord’s mouth. Your clothing did not wear out nor did your feet swell all these forty years. Be keenly aware that just as a parent disciplines his child, the Lord your God disciplines you. So you must keep his commandments, live according to his standards, and revere him. For the Lord your God is bringing you to a good land, a land of brooks, springs, and fountains flowing forth in valleys and hills, a land of wheat, barley, vines, fig trees, and pomegranates, of olive trees and honey, a land where you may eat food in plenty and find no lack of anything, a land whose stones are iron and from whose hills you can mine copper. You will eat your fill and then praise the Lord your God because of the good land he has given you." 

Sometimes we have to walk through the desert to be thankful for the promise land. I have been humbled these last few years in so many ways as I wait for the Lord to guide me out of the desert. I have learned that only in His timing does it become His ministry and not mine. I have been tested and tried. Often times on the verge of giving up when I lack "the good things" but clinging with my all my might to the hem of His garment. He has taught me so much through the desert. Teaching me to be thankful for the manna that came my way and the morsels of truth that He has shown me from His word. He has disciplined me when I forget to revere Him and instead take my own way. Consistently being reminded that even when the manna is not what I want, it is what I need. I don't believe my excitement or unattractive jigs would happen without my time in the desert! If you find yourself in the desert this morning, this week, or what seems like forty years; trust Him as He humbles, tests, teaches, and disciplines you. For He will bring you to a good land. May we raise our hands in adoration for our good God and may we praise Him for the desert...for it is the only way we can be thankful for the land of promise! In the desert and in the good land let us shout,  "I just can't keep it to myself...God is soooooooooo good!!!

He's Big and I'm little!
   ~Bets

betsbol@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog! God is sooooooo good..!! Thank God he never leaves us nor forsake us whether were in the desert or on the mountain top!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete