Monday, June 25, 2012

Read the Warning Label...


There I sat bundled up on the airplane freezing like it was mid December struggling not to grab the person next to me and cuddle. Yes, that would have been awkward and I avoid those moments at all cost. No one next to me needed to worry about staying warm. I was their personal electric blanket- radiating heat. I was like the Twilight werewolf on steriods. Taylor Lautner had nothing on me. It was probably pushing 90 degrees in that plane but I was a burn victim. Yes, I was that person that you see walking on the beach and you wonder if they have ever even heard the word "sunscreen".  My medication makes me super sensitive to the sun and the warning label on the bottle was not joking. Sensitivity...more like if you even peek at it you DIE! I remember pridefully saying "my skin can handle the sun." Bets, seriously are you a dermatologist?! Stupid pride. Our first night in Destin I thought that I had baked myself in an oven at 350 degrees and forgot to set the timer. I was so mad that I had gotten burned. It was entirely unfair and I did not deserve it....blah blah blah!

I read the warning label and heard my mom's warnings but I didn't listen! I thought I was immune to the bold print warning. Yet isn't that how we act when we face the consequences of our sins. We think life is unfair and we do not deserve the circumstances we are walking through. Yet, did we not read the warning label? Did we not read in God's word that it was wrong? Yet, we somehow believe we were immune to it. That we are different than the 99%. Stupid pride! 2 Samuel 11 talks about the sin of Bathsheba and David. They fell into the lust of their flesh and in turn faced the difficult consequences of that decision. Bathsheba lost her husband and her child. David faced the shame and lost his child. David, a man after God's own heart, one who had read the warning label and knew the consequences let his pride get in the way. At first he did his best to cover his sin but the consequences caught up to him and in the end he got burned! Don't let me lose you here because this is the BEST PART! This is where grace comes in! 2 Samuel 12:13 says "Then David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the LORD.” And Nathan said to David, “The LORD also has taken away your sin." Woot woot! You may face the consequences and get burned but in the end the Lord will take it away; in fact the Lord will use it for good! God is good! His grace is most evident when our stupid pride gets burned. Bathsheba went on to be a God fearing queen who taught her son the most famous passage on women (Proverbs 31) and David was the best king to ever rule Israel! There has been no one like him since. In fact, God chose to send His only son through the line of David and Bathsheba's son... GRACE!

I learned my lesson day two and basically wore a parka on the beach and sat under an umbrella....nothing like a little beach humility! I learned an even greater lesson, don't just read the warning labels in life heed His instructions and avoid the burn! Yet, if your heart is burned right now His grace is the best burn cream I know! Your heart may peel (don't worry that is a shedding of the old self) and it may take a few days, but in the end His grace will bring good and His SPF (stupid pride forgotten) will always protect what's covered under His blood (sunscreen)!

He's Big and I'm Little (covered in sunscreen),
       Bets
betsbol@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment