Tuesday, May 15, 2012

I am too annoyed to listen....


Every single time I travel home from Lubbock something absolutely ridiculous happens to me. I mean seriously I wear my shirt inside out, I lose my front tooth to corn on the cob, and this time my flight got delayed and I was stuck in an airport that is two hours from home for 4.5 hours only to take a 30 minute flight to my original airport and drive another 2 hours home. 15 hours of traveling...depressing! These are small annoyances in life but yet they seem to reak havoc on your entire day. No, nothing terribly devastating happened but if you had sat with me in the airport Sunday you would have thought my fiance left me at the altar (if I had one)! I cried in public people! Like tears rolling down my face riding an escalator. Embarassing! This little annoyance was big to me. I felt out of control and alone. If I had a husband he would handle this or if I had sold my kidney and bought the expensive ticket that did not take me to 18 different states, or if I could make the plane go faster I would not be in this mess. For some reason it triggered my emotions and an emotional bomb exploded. Yep, I bet that makes me sound like an awesome normal person. My Pastor asked me a great question today "so what did God teach you?" What was God saying to you in the midst of the storm?

 I sounded a lot like Elijah, of course his situation was much worse than mine. Yet, to an all powerful God this was a little incident in the midst of a huge purpose for Elijah's good and God's glory. 1 Kings 19 tells the story of Elijah running for his life. He is exhausted, alone, and ready to go home. “I have had enough, Lord,” he said. Have you ever said that? I did Sunday! When Elijah was over the situation and he had enough, God spoke to Him. He got Elijah's attention through a powerful wind that tore the mountains, an earthquake, and a fire. Yet, it says that God's presence was not in any of those. He was in the whisper that followed! Imagine if in Elijah's frustration he walked off the mountain before he listened to God's whisper? He would have had no clue the incredible purpose God had for him. I encourage you to read it!

Sometimes God takes us through a storm where we must endure a wind that threatens to tear us apart, or an earthquake that seems to disrupt our schedule, or even a fire in life that makes us feel like nothing more than ashes! Yet, if we will just stand firm through those annoyances in life big or small, we will hear the whispers of God. If I am honest with y'all, I walked off the "mountain" Sunday in frustration before I heard the whisper of God. No, it was all about me and what I wanted and needed. I hadn't done anything wrong! I did not deserve this. All I wanted to do was get home! I did get home eventually yet the trip along the way could have been much better if I waited to hear his whisper instead sat there like a windblown, earthquaked pile of ashes! Beth Moore once said "“If Jesus gives us a task or assigns us to a difficult season, every ounce of our experience is meant for our instruction and completion if only we'll let Him finish the work. I fear, however, that we are so attention-deficit that we settle for bearable when beauty is just around the corner.” Let's not rush off the mountain in our ADD annoyed state! Wait, listen God is speaking and He is always saying something important and beautiful!

 He's Big (& whispering) and I'm Little (& NOW listening!),
          ~Bets betsbol@gmail.com

1 comment: