Wednesday, February 1, 2012

You broke me but I will pray for you...

One of my favorite movies of all time is “Pretty in Pink”. Molly Ringwald, Andie in the film, is the poor girl in a rich society. Her fellow students do not believe she is worthy enough to date the “rich guy” and they are not afraid to say it. Isn’t that how life is? We live in a blunt society that is honest to a fault. At one point she attends the prom after being treated like nothing more than trash by her fellow students. She says “I just want them to know they didn’t break me!” I LOVE THAT QUOTE! Even when we are broken hearted by the world we want them to know that “sticks and stones may break my bones but words may never hurt me.” Even if our heart is proof that such a statement is the biggest lie in the entire world.
I have people say things to me all the time and it breaks me. Not long ago at work a man asked me “do your parents buckle you into a car seat before you go somewhere?” I was devastated by such a hurtful comment. Yet I wanted him to know he didn’t break me, but I also wanted to break him. Don’t think bad of me…I have to be honest! I wanted to hurt him like he hurt me. I wanted vengeance like Andie did. When we are hurt we naturally want to hurt those that caused such pain. Yet, I watched that man laugh in my face and walk out of my life like it was no big deal. We all have been hurt at some point in our lives whether through a broken relationship, the words of another, betrayal, etc.  It seems those that hurt us never get to feel or understand the suffering we endured at their hands, but instead walk away laughing or at least that is how we see it. Yet, we want them to break without knowing they broke us and we want them to be sorry! Am I alone in this? I will sure feel like a (tar) heel… ( Go Wolfpack!)if that is the case!
Do you know what Jesus did in the face of heartbreak when those around Him laughed in His face? When they “broke” him and actually used sticks and stones both in word and reality? He cried out to His father and said “Father, forgive them for they know not what they do!” WOW! WOW! He never once tried to bring about vengeance or desired their heartbreak! He saw past the pain and into the hearts of those that desired His suffering. He looked at them as His father would and He…wait for it...LOVED THEM! PRAYED FOR THEM! Saw their ignorance and in turn WEPT FOR THEM! Proverbs 20:22 says “Do not say, "I'll pay you back for this wrong!" Wait for the LORD, and he will deliver you.” God sees you! He sees your tears! He sees your heartbreak! He will deliver you! Do not seek vengeance but instead seek forgiveness. Pray for them! Love them! Just as your Father loves you when you break His heart!
He’s Big and I’m Little,
 Bets
betsbol@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Bets, thank you for your honesty. You aren't the only one that wants to hurt them back. :) God is always the answer. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOU!! You are an inspiration to all!! :)

    ReplyDelete