Monday, January 30, 2012

Daydream Believer...

When I was little (ok…younger, I am still quite little) I absolutely loved oldies music! One of my favorite songs was “Daydream Believer”.  When I was high school I would daydream all the time about my future and I just knew for certain they would come true. Did y’all ever do that? If not pretend & make me feel better! I believed so much in those daydreams & it seemed impossible for them not to come true. Yet, they did not! I always thought that I would graduate from college with a ring on my finger, a professional football/baseball player fiancé, & a  have a speaking tour with Beth Moore. You laugh…but seriously! I mean as kids we are told to reach for the stars, so I took that literally. As I drove away with my whole world packed in my little ford focus headed back to my small town with no job, no ring, no stud, & no speaking engagements I couldn’t help but mourn the death of my dreams. I felt I should bury them deep in my heart and tell them to rest in peace because for all that I knew they had died that day!
Did you ever have a dream that you had to give a eulogy for? Or you buried deep in your heart and silently mourned the loss of? Over the last few years I have watched many around me bury their dreams and I have wondered what God’s plan is? Over and over again in my heart I hear the verse Isaiah 43:19 “See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.” Abraham wanted to be a father but God created "a new thing" and he became the father of many nations. Joseph wanted to be second in  command in Potipher’s house yet God made a “new thing” when He made him second in command over a nation. Ruth lost the love of her life but God sent a “new thing” in the form of Boaz. David wanted to shepherd a flock but God sent “a new thing” when He shepherded Israel. Job was the most blessed man in all the land only for God to send “a new thing” and Job was doubly blessed more than before.  All of these people and so many more in the word of God “buried” their dreams only to see God create a “new thing” in their desert!  The dreams they had struggled to reach did not even come close to being in the same galaxy as the ones that God had planned for them!
Over the last three years I have seen and continue to see God create “a new thing” in my desert and my wasteland! Don’t give up on the giver of dreams when the ones you bury seemed the best! God doesn’t take away something good to not give something better in return! Stop being a “daydream believer” but instead believe in the God whose plan is better than those dreams! Trust that as you walk through the wasteland He is preparing you for the dream He had planned when He lovingly formed you in the womb!

He's Big and I'm Little (with dreams!)
    Bets
betsbol@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. im so glad i stumbled upon this! this is simple and so true! i'm in the process of living my dream- but i cant help but continue to dream bigger-always excited to see what God does with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. makes me think of 1 Corinthians 2:9! We cannot FATHOM what the Lord has in store for us! Love you Bets! I get to see you in 6 days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just what I needed to hear. The Lord has been using that verse in Isaiah to me too. I love you girl! Thank you for speaking truth!

    ReplyDelete