Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Little Afraid????

 



The other night I was home alone and unlike Macaulay Culkin I do not thrive in that situation! Every noise in the house makes me jump. I refuse to go downstairs alone; I leave all the lights on, and sit on my living room couch paralyzed by fear with 911 on speed dial!  I mean let’s be honest how I am going to defend myself? My dogs are no help either.  I have a geriatric dog that can’t even make it up the stairs without help and the other barks at his own shadow! Oh yea robbers…be afraid! The only weapon in my home I can reach is a machete from Brazil that is my height and knowing me I would impale myself with it! I was even tempted to call my brother and tell him to come over! Naturally I was going to find an excuse, other than the fact that I am a 24 yr. old woman that is terrified to be alone, but nothing came to mind! It isn’t like my brother can handle a machete like Jackie Chan, but when he is at the house with me I feel completely safe! It seems so silly that just his presence calms my heart! Yet I know if he’s there he will fight for me! No machete wounds for this girl! 

I wish I could say this is how I feel about the presence of the Lord when I am afraid! That somehow just knowing HE is with me calms my heart! Honestly, there is nothing more real than the spiritual battle that you and I fight on a daily basis! It can be even more unnerving than my home alone experience. A machete or even my brother can't protect me from this.Yet, God is more powerful than any fearful situation! He holds the world in His hands and He can crush Satan with His pinky! Yet I often live in fear of the unknown, not trusting my Warrior, my King with my life. I will often take matters into my own hands and end up with wounds that were self-inflicted. Why do I have 911 on speed dial but Jesus is often the last person I call when I am afraid? Why do I trust my brother with my life, but not the God who created it and saved it? Exodus 14:14 says “The LORD will fight for you, just stay calm!” Ephesians talks about this spiritual battle and it says “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.” Forget the machete! We have Christ on our side, fighting our battle! In fact the war is already won! Satan has lost…yet will he paralyze us and win our battle through fear? NOPE! Why don’t we stand in victory calling on our Savior and as Macaulay Culkin says “You guys give up yet? Or are you thirsty for more?”

He's Big (and fighting my Battle) and I'm Little!
  Bets
betsbol@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment