Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Loss that Hurts...

Source


I have this incredible talent! Like I seriously think that when it comes to this one thing I am the BEST in the world! Please try not to be jealous…I know it’s tough! But here it is: I can lose anything with the best of them! Seriously…any item at any time! It’s an art that I have clearly perfected over time. I can have my wallet in my hand one minute and in the next I am checking under my bed for it! Why under the bed? Who knows I put things in crazy places! NEVER…I repeat NEVER give me anything valuable to you unless you want it to go MIA…because it will! I am use to losing my keys, losing clothes (not while on me mind you!), wallet, shoes, and important documents! In high school I could never find my cheerleading uniform because I stuck it in a “special” place knowing I would remember it the next week…yeah right! It is an every day occurrence for me. My family laughs at me all the time…other times they get a little frustrated…oops! I can handle all these things I lose because it’s just another day in my life and in the scheme of things they aren't that important!

Yet, last week my family and I experienced a big loss, an important one that you can’t laugh off or even get mad at yourself about. In fact it was one you often turn your anger towards God about…the kind you don’t lose yourself…it’s the kind that gets taken from you! Oh it hurt…it hurt everyone in my family and our closest friends. The pain of that loss was much different than my clothes or even my wallet. No it was loss that hits you right in the heart! Have you ever had that happen to you? Dumb question I know! Everyone has. Whether it is the loss of someone special due to death, or the loss of your spouse due to a painful divorce, or the loss of a friendship due to some silly misunderstanding! It hurts! In fact you feel like your heart is ripped to shreds and you wonder why? Why God? I can handle losing my keys or even money from my wallet, but not this! 

I think Job said it best after he lost everything…literally everything! His response is one of the most powerful in scripture (in my opinion!) “At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship and said: “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised.” He WORSHIPPED God after all that he loved was taken from him! Hold the phone! That is unbelievable! He knew that God was in control! That He was and is still good, and that although He gives, He also takes away! It doesn’t mean that he was not devastated, and he even asked God why, but later we learn that God does not have to answer the question why? His thoughts and ways are much higher than ours as the Psalmist says! Yet His thoughts and ways are always out of love for His children! No matter what we lose or what He takes, HE will always be the giver as well! He also gave this promise in Romans 8 “we know that ALL things work together for the GOOD of those that love God and are called according to His PROMISE!” It hurts to lose something in our lives…oh so very much but we know that He may take away but He also gives!  

He’s Big and I’m Little!
       Bets
      betsbol@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Betsy I am so with you on this! It has been a struggle for me my whole life. I have to stop and breath and pray that God will help me keep my cool and remind me that I am fearfully and wonderfully made and this talent is not going to label me(like: idiot, stupid, dumb, etc for constantly failing to remember where I put things) nor bring me down. He almost always shows me where my things are in the end, but it is a talent that constantly humbles me and leaves me longing to seek Him more!
    P.s. I loved reading your story! You are amazing Betsy! I'm thankful God gave me the opportunity to know you!

    ReplyDelete