Monday, August 15, 2011

Shoo Fly Don't Bother Me...



Oh my stars, there are few things in life that drive me less crazy than a stinkin' fly buzzing around my ears. I can hear that buzz buzz noise and I literally almost lose my witness. It always makes you look crazy too when you freak out over a fly. Nobody can ever see it from a distance. All they see is you swatting your face and yelling at the air...a little bit of an awkward scene if you ask me but I have been known to be that girl. Especially at camp where there are bugs galore! The other day before we left camp for the summer, sad day, I was getting super agitated by this rather persistent fly that could not get enough of buzzing in my ear. All I could focus on was that annoying noise...everything else around me kinda took a backseat. I spent all my energy swatting and waving my arms trying to get this fly away...oh what a sight! My entire focus was on having this fly meet it's maker in about 5 seconds! One of the many awesome guys at camp sent that fly to heaven later that day with that miraculous invention we all know as the fly swatter! Love that thing!

As I sat there all I could think about was how Satan is so much like a fly...random I know but so true. He buzzes around our ears in the most annoying and persistent manner. He does not care if we swat at him, in fact it only encourages him to return to us and buzz more lies into our ears. All of our focus is often shifted to those buzzworthy lies and we are incapable of focusing on anything else. John 8:44 says "He (Satan) was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies." Satan is incapable of speaking truth and his goal is to distract us so much that we use our own energy to defeat him. We get agitated and exhausted from never being able to squish the lies so we quit and allow the buzzing to become the noise we listen to! Today I read in Matthew 4 about Jesus temptation in the wilderness. In the midst of Jesus' exhaustion (from lack of food...read it! He fasted for 40 days...I can't fast for 40 minutes!) Satan came and began to buzz in His ear. Instead of using all His energy by swatting and throwing a fit He spoke truth amidst the lies. Jesus said "It is written..." and quoted scripture to defeat the lies of Satan. He used the ultimate fly swatter...the Word of God!  And scripture says "Satan left Him!" What a challenge to you and I to stop believing those things we know are not true and squish Satan's buzzing lies with the word of God!

He's Big and I'm Little,
  Bets
betsbol@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment